Monday 16 February 2015

Tirra Lirra by the River

Tirra Lirra by the River
Jessica Anderson
1978

My friend Marg Lacey referred me to this article which I'd missed over the weekend:

http://www.theage.com.au/good-weekend/gw-classics/rooms-of-their-own-anne-funder-on-tirra-lirra-by-the-river-20150213-12ryet.html

Can I read Tirra Lirra again? I've revisited it several times over the years and I confess it doesn't make me weak with admiration as some books of that era do. But Nora, the protagonist, is certainly complex and memorable and the old Brisbane setting very evocative.
Worth pondering right at the end of the article is Anne Funder's selection of a quote from Nora  that: "Imagination is only memory at one, or two, or twenty removes."

Now there's a topic for discussion....

1 comment:

  1. I quite like the opening when Nora arrives at the house - a good blend of description, learning about the character and questions in the air that suggest more to come.

    ReplyDelete

To comment, first write your comment in the box below.

Second, select an option in the Comment As dropdown box. You can either use your Google+ account, or post as Anonymous if you don't have or don't want a Google account. (You can write your name in the Comment box if you like!)

Third, click Publish. Your comment will be sent to me first, then be published on the site later.

Thanks for your contribution!